At Westwood Dental, we are committed to helping you keep your smile in the best possible health. As part of this dedication, we provide an oral cancer screening during each hygiene visit to our office. During the oral cancer screening, the clinician checks for the signs and symptoms of oral cancer. Signs and symptoms can occur both inside the mouth and outside on the head and neck. These may include:
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- Red, white, or speckled patches in the mouth
- Lumps, rough spots, or swellings on the gums, lips, or other areas inside your mouth
- Lasting sores in the mouth, face, or next that bleed easily and do not heal within two weeks
- A change in the way your dentures or teeth fit together
We also encourage you to let us know if you experience numbness or pain in the mouth, neck, or face, or if you notice chronic sore throat or hoarseness. Both our doctors and hygienists are trained to recognize the signs or oral cancer. If we notice anything abnormal, we may recommend further testing or treatment. To learn more about how we
screen for oral cancer in Kansas City, KS, or if you would like to schedule your next visit to our dental office, we welcome you to call 913-432-0765 or visit us today. We are dedicated to helping you keep your smile in optimal health.